Saturday, May 21, 2011

Minimalist at Heart

Clutter.

Stress.

Slow strangulation by stuff.

Our time was being dominated by our things and trying to figure out where to put them. I am the queen of moving things around. Unfortunately, no matter how I moved things around or tried to reorganize the problem still existed. We had too much stuff. Our condo in Jersey was approximately 1,800 square feet. We also had a storage unit in the basement. Of course we felt the need to fill all of our space so we had no space left. Our current apartment is about 1,000 square feet. When we tried to cram all our stuff into a smaller hole and it just about exploded. Seriously, you can actually see my closets exploding below.

How was it possible for someone who described herself as little-to-no no maintenance to have so much damn stuff to maintain?

It doesn't really matter how it happened. What does matter is that I have decided to make a change.

The first time I heard the word minimalism I thought it sounded wonderful. I do believe I am a minimalist at heart. It's getting my mind and my habits wrapped around the concept that has taken a bit longer.

On the day I discovered minimalism I was living like this...



and that is no way to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment