Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Unplug Your Summer Challenge or Party Like it's 1949

I've recently become aware of the negative pull technology has on my time. Too often I realize I've been lost in looking at something on my phone or computer. I come back to life and wonder how long I've been flat lining. I imagine I have the same blank expression as my kids do when they are zoned out in front of the television.

My relationship with technology is love/hate at best. I am the first one to hop on the Internet but I often am upset with myself later about how disconnected I feel to real life. Although I am not often suckered into losing hours of my life in front of the TV, if you add up the minutes I spend in front of the computer, Ipad or on the Droid the number would make me cringe.

I have so many things I WANT to be doing and yet I'm wasting my time. My daughter Eliza is almost four and my son Jude is almost two. It happened in the blink of an eye and in another blink I'm afraid they will be grown and I will regret not soaking up every moment I have with them. I'll even miss those moments that make me want to get in my car, start driving and never turn around. Usually those moments happen when I am in some way disconnected from what is going on with them.

This summer I am going to party like it's 1949.

I'm going to unplug my summer and connect to my husband, my kids and my friends. I'm going to document my experiences and report back in September.

Some of you have chosen to participate in Screen Free Week, and others have Killed their TV for a month. This challenge is about 3 months/ 92 days screen free. It is about spending a summer unplugged.

How will you unplug yourself this summer. What are your favorite screen free summer activities?

Interested in joining me on my Unplug Your Summer Challenge- blog about it and drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment